Friday, October 22, 2010

Rules of the Game

In honor of the 18th anniversary of the El Buen Pastor School in Ayacucho where my family works as administrators and the 3 kids attend, they have been celebrating all week with a variety of festivities and frankly competitions. I have found Peruvians to be very competitive in everything they do. There must be a winner and a prize or money always seems to come up even if it does not actually change hands, not really my flavor. I like playing for fun and the honor of representing my school or group. So yesterday in the inter colegio volleyball game at Colegio Buen Pastor the winning point was made by a young boy using his feet. He lifted the ball up across the net using a soccer like move. How strange is that I thought.
I was standing on the side line thinking Äre you kidding me? He used his feet. You play volleyball with your hands, don´t you?¨ I asked my host mom Rosa about it. I said is that in the rule book. I never learned to play using my feet. My host mom said it is in the rules of the game, just Google it. I was thinking Google is not my go to first source of information, I would rather see an official rule book. Perhaps Saturday at the soccer game we can all use our hands? I mean this really opened a wierd dorr for me as far as sport. Maybe I am wrong, but any volleyball afficionados out there please weigh in. I do not recall seeing Olympians or collegiate atheletes using their hands.
Maybe using your feet in volleyball is just a Peruvian rule....hmmm, I am on a quest now especially because they always want me to play volleyball with them. If I can use my feet then by golly I might just become champion of the world becasue I will have elevated my game to a whole different level. They still won´t let me play soceer though...even though I saw a group of organized women playing on a field in Carmen Alto, with uniforms and everything, just sayin, again!

No comments:

Post a Comment