Thursday, September 2, 2010

No Stop Signs and Braking is only a Reccomendation

I get in the car, put my seat belt on (even though my knees are buried in my chest), and I begin to pray. I pray giving thanks, and hoping that after being in Lima, Peru for only three days I have not been in a serious accident. I did spot a few first-aid kits in the windows of the taxis that we were riding in. For what!? My supervisor said they are required by law to have those in view. "Why?" I asked, and then in my snarkiest voice added "It must be so they can dab some Neosporin on my open fracture and traumatic, gaping chest wound to tide me over until the ambulancia arrives. You think?"
The YAV program explicitly instructed us not to drive in our placements no matter what. Hmmmm.....the PC(USA) and her insurance company need not worry. I prefer the two feet God gave me. You see, at least here in Lima, Peru, there are no stop signs at intersections, and braking before changing lanes or at an intersection is optional. From my astute observation intersections here are treated like a blind four way rolling stop sort of things. To get out into traffic you sort of stick your nose out until someone stops...okay really, someone remotely slows down to let you in. It is not at all abnormal to change lanes by force. The car or usually for my very small Toyota taxi it is usually a large dumptruck that wants over. They just keep moving right until they are in. The offended car usually offers a puny little "toot!" as if to say OH OH! I see you there, I do not like it but here you come anyway. This is changing lanes by force or just using the size of your vehicle to determine driving regs.
It makes your heart race and your faith grow stronger. I have this little soundtrack going over and over in my head which drowns out the 1980's love ballads that circulate on 102.1 Lima Radio. I am just waiting on Air Supply to be the next selection...."I'm all out of love, I'm so lost without you....buh buh buh......who needs stop signs when I can amuse myself?
Tomorrow, Phil Collins and Genesis. Maybe I can talk the taxi driver into stopping at the little strip of aluminum shacks that seem to service the taxis....they sell all the cool stuff to "Pimp your taxi." The little light on top that blink "TAXI", leather racing seats in a variety of textures and colors, perhaps they even have the coup de gras....fuzzy dice. I will let you know!!! Stay tuned as the Peruano transportation watch continues. Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment