Thursday, September 2, 2010

Spanish Aqui vs. Spanish Aca

First day out of the box I realized that Toto and I were not in Kansas anymore. Maybe it was the fluidity of the taxi scene which moves like waves, NO not so much a clue. Perhaps it was eating lunch at two o'clock in the afternoon and having both potatoes and rice on the same plate, no that was not so much the thing either.
What made me realize that Peruvian Spanish is different from Central American Spanish is the vocabulary. They use different words.
For instance (Less than an hour in Lima), in the Lima Airport the Policia Nacional Guard who was checking immigration papers and directing us "Tienes algo a declarar?, Did we have anything to declare?" I responded no, and he said "La ultimo cola." I looked at my traveling buddies Rachel and James and said "I think he just said something about my tail," as I covered my backside. I knew he wanted me to go to the end of the last line, but Rachel grinned and laughed "Cola also can refer to forming the end or tail of the line, so he was talking about a tail, but not yours."
Amazing!!! The Spanish language faux pauxs just keep on a coming....later the next day we were in the RED office helping to pack up some of the fair trade crafts that the women artesinas (craftspersons) had made. They were being shipped to St. Louis, MO to a RED partner. I was counting and packing these little wooly hats for kids that had a little puppy design sewn in, with little ears that flapped off the top, how cute. Jorge (or Koki) as he is more affectionately known was helping me record the information for shipping. I pointed to one and said "Un chuchito" and he stopped and looked at me with big eyes and his mouth dropped open. I wasn't sure what I had said so I said it again - BIG MISTAKE!!! If you mess up once DO NOT repeat it. He said to Jeni the secretary "Por que habla de su chuchitos con migo,: and he laughed...Debbie my supervisor came in and helped me figure out that I had just talked to Koki about my chest not a puppy. Chuchito in Guatemala is a puppy, chuchito in Peru is a female body part in the chest area.
I asked if I had embarrased Koki, because I had myself. They said no Koki does not get embarrassed, he will just not let you ever live this down...just so you know. What I have discovered in all of this is my wonderful and very fluent Guatemalan Spanish needs to take a back seat and let me absorb some Peruano vocab and slang. Note to self.

2 comments:

  1. Haha I love this Koki person! It sounds like we'd get along! Keep on keepin' on, my friend. Sounds like they like you in Peru already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great to know you made it and i'll be following you around. be well!

    ReplyDelete