Friday, August 27, 2010

Aging Myself or Better Yet Having Someone else Do it for You

So I arrived at Stony Point (NY) Camp and Conference Center today. I am here for a few days of orientation and then off to Lima, Peru. After Lunch I was standing with a group of the volunteers that I had met in Louisville, KY during the placement event. A young (er than I) female approached, and I was thinking do I know her from the placement event, but no a little voice was telling me that I knew her long before that. Don't you just hate when that little voice is right? I DID know her. In fact ten years ago I was her 8th grade Social Studies Teacher at Bell Street Middle School in Clinton, SC. She was 13, and I had just graduated from college and was in my first year as a classroom teacher.
The young(er than I) person was Mary Kate. As soon as she said her name I remembered her and the whole class that she was in. There was Walter, Mary Beth, Hamilton, oh the list goes on. She said "I heard you make a comment or answer a question from the back of the room in the seminar this morning" and I remembered your voice. Should I feel flattered, warm and fuzzy or just plain old? Right now it is just hillarious, but I feel old too. Maybe I can convince myself I am not getting older, just better.
Mary Kate is a college graduate, has spent a year in Dallas in the Americorps program, and is now going to serve in the National YAV program in Nashville. How fantastic?!!! The 90 degreees of YAV separation strikes again....

1 comment: