Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Baja, Baja, Sube, Sube - the city bus

Since arriving in Ayacucho I have been trying the different modes of transportation, from my two feet (pies here) to mototaxis and regular taxis. Each one costs less than the other. Taxis are most expensive at about 3-4 soles and well my feet are free. Unfortunately my office is on the otherside of the city or atleast it feels like it so I cannot walk. So yesterday and today I decided that I was bound and determined to become a regular rider of the Ayacucho bus services. They are private companies and there are a variety of rutas (routes) that they run. They cost 50 centimos to get me from the corner near the Colegio El Buen Pastor to the PyE office. I am guessing that is about a quarter, more or less. For the past several days my host Rosa and the people at my office have been riding with me to make sure I know which bus to take and where to tell them to I want to get off. Today I made it to the office all by myself. I even had a seat, and did not have to stand up. I rode the buses or camionetas in Guatemala, and so far they have proven more fun and colorful, but I want to wait a few days before I weigh in. There of course is not usually the chance of running into a chicken, a pig, or other barnyard fare on these buses...atleast I don´t think.

So to flag down a bus it just like in Guatemala. You stick your arm out horizontally and wave it a few times. The bus pulls over and the ayudante or helper starts saying ¨Sube, Sube, Sube¨ which means to go up or basically get on. When he stops saying it the driver takes off so you had better have ¨Subed!¨ When it is time to get off you say to the ayudante or yell from the back of the bus ¨Baja or Bajamos¨ if there is more than one of you. It literally means to go down or get off. Bajamos is we. It is a usually a pretty rapid transition so have your hands free because you have to grab onto the ceiling bars and the door bars as you ¨Sube, sube.¨ The steps on the bus are so high. I am not sure why because most Peruvians are shorter, as am I. The curbs are the same way too. Sometimes it takes and act of congress to get up on one. I guess it is all part of the experience though.

Yesterday on my way home I learned(well remembered) that the number of seats does not determine the number of passengers. I had a seat that opened up. If all the seats are full and an older person or a pregnant woman gets on it is sort of unwritten that you should offer you seat. I am neither, but just got lucky because someone got off. It didn´t take me long to swipe that seat. By the time we had run the ruta 12 to take me back home the bus meant to hold 20 or so was holding about 40 people, all trying to hold on. We were like those clown cars at the circus. The ayudante all the way saying ¨adelante, adelante¨ which is trying to get all those bodies cramming in the door to move down the aisle to the back of the bus. I made it to the corner of the Mercado Choro and Jr. Grau which is where I needed to get off. ¨Baja en la esquina¨ I said. I want to get off at the corner. The bus whips into an open space and even though I was in a seat right by the door, I had to wade through (in other words push) all the people who had piled on blocking the entrance. UGH! YYHOLE!! the people say as you try and get off. I give the ayudante my 50 centimos and walk down the side walk to the sound of a roaring bus engine and the ayudante saying ¨fill that seat, mas adelante por favor, sube sube - vamos - let´s go!¨ Noone can get on until everyone that wants to gets off. The Colegio El Buen Pastor is just down the street where I will meet Sheridad, Penuel, and Eunice (the Sulca Tucno kids) for the walk home, which is about 2 blocks. It is kind of an exciting ride don´t you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment