Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Razzing a Co-Worker and Being Razzed

Omar and I were sitting in the communications office at PyE this morning each working on our computers and various assignments. We would talk a little bit about my church service I am preparing, and the elections coming up, but other than that he is pretty quiet. Omar is pretty serious and focused on his work, but he never hesitates to let me ask one of my random questions. Omar did say earlier in the morning ¨Hmm, Carol must not be coming or she didn´t come.¨ Karol no viene?
At about 11:15 a.m. she came strolling in the door. Now to tease someone in spanish is molestar. I asked her ¨Did she lose her watch?¨ and as she was responding ¨No no I had a meeting¨Omar breaks in with a straight face and says ¨No her bed sequestered or kidnapped her,¨ while he made motions with his arms like the sheets would not let her go. All he did was crack a smile, and kept working. Classic razzing. HAHAHA!!!
I share this because of the Hora Peruana or the Peruvian Hour. It allows people to take liberty with time and play loose and fast with schedules. This is one of the things that I do not particularly care for. If you are supposed to began at 1 p.m. then you usually get started about 1:30 to 1:45 p.m. I have learned to bring a book or something to keep me occupied. Some Peruvians will say that the Hora Peruana is a total crock, but others just fall right into line. Never the less it happens. Carol really did have a meeting, but was just fun to tease her, and to have her tease me right back. Cross-cultural hijinx makes office life at PyE fun.

1 comment:

  1. I really, really need to know how to say "my bed kidnapped me" in Spanish...

    ReplyDelete