Sunday, May 1, 2011

Conquering Campanayo - Uphill, Mas Ayacito.


So there are two nondescript terms that people use here. One is ayacito, which means over there a little ways, and the other is un ratito or a little while. Basically it is used when someone has no idea excatly how far or how much longer they will need. We do the same thing. I was trying to think if we have them in english and yes we do. Un ratito is like saying "one moment please." One moment usually turns into or actually means 5 minutes to half an hour, just like ratito in spanish can be anywhere from one minute to an hour. Ayacito is a little bit further, over there. It is used like "Over yonder" in the southern United States. In other words "Just keep going, and you will get there when you do." OKAY, I got it.





Gregoria, Me, Pastor Juan






Me, and Caleb (Pastor Juan's 2 yr Old)



Saturday morning Pastor Juan, from Iglesia Emanuel, asked me if I wanted to go with the youth on a hike up to Campanayo. I was like "Where is that?" He responded "Mas Ayacito, arriba," and he pointed up. I thought, sure why not, I do not get to spend that much time with them, and this is a chance to do something with the youth outside of the church building.



We struck out. Little did I know, until 3/4 of the way up, that this was Juan's first time up too.


(In a way I am glad he did not tell me)



So we started out at a brisk pace. We were on a trail. Then we hit the incline. No more trail. Just loose, dry rock, that got steeper the higher we went. We stopped for periodic breaks. Then there were shady parts where we met up with clumps of trees. Along the way we criss crossed the canals that bring the water down the mountain to Ayacucho. OH YES DID I MENTION WE WERE NO LONGER HIKING AT THIS POINT. It was more like mountain climbing without ropes.









We stopped in the shade to rest and everyone kept asking so where is it? He said "mas Ayacito" and motioned his head upward. "See the eucalyptus trees, that's it." So how long will it take us to get up there? (I mean there was no logner a trail) "Oh, un ratito, nada mas!"



HAHAHAHA!!



We finally made it to the eucalyptus trees. We had a picnic lunch. A brief reflection that Pastor Juan and I lead on creation, the environment, and accompaniament. Then we turned around and came back down. Juan said "Yes, on the way down we can take the road." Road! There was a road the whole time. "Yes, a road, with microbuses that go to and from Campanayo all day." A road with cars, who needs those when you have just conquered Campanayo by scaling the side of a mountain. On the way down Juan kept asking me if I would remember this. I replied "How could one who is from the FLAT South Carolina coast ever forget climbing the side of a mountain." So to the youth from Iglesia Emanuel in Ayacucho, and especially my climbing buddies Juan Carlos, Gregoria, and Pastor Juan. Gracias, por un Sabado bueno!






Ayacucho from the top of Campanayo

1 comment: