Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Animal Crackers in my Soup...Lions and Tigers Loop de Loop

When I was kid my mom, brother, and I would sing that song when eating animal crackers. That was what the commerical said. "Animal Crackers in my Soup! Lions and Tigers Loop de Loop!" Then we would bite them off in little pieces.



So how glorious was it to walk into the little tienda next to my house and see animal crackers sitting on the shelf. The tienda is owned by the father of my host dad. His name is Ricardo. So that makes him sort of my "Abueltio." I always go in and call out Papa Quispe!! and he scurries in from the back and rares back and says "gringita," and we shake hands and chat it up. Papa Quispe has had this tienda for more than 30 years. It has a little bit of everything; sugar, flour, fresh bread, aji no moto, cloves, soda, etc.


The best part though...animal crackers, and the brand name makes it even better...FAUNA. Yep! That is right FAUNA. Just like Flora is flowers and FAUNA is animals. These animal crackers are not circus animals though, they are pigs, and owls, chickens and rabbits.



"Animal Crackers in my tienda! Pigs and chickens on whom I dependa!" Hee Hee...FAUNA!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment