Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Santa Fe Kids Graduate

I recently received a photo and acknowledgement that the children that I worked with in Santa Fe, Guatemala in 2004-2005 as a Young Adult Volunteer (YAV) graduated from Primera or the 6th grade in October. They have several choices now. They can try to enroll in middle school or there is a special program in the city of Retahuleu about 30 minutes down the road that meets once a week for half a day and is an intensive program. The latter option would allow the young people to work in the fields or where ever they can earn money, but also continue their education.
I team taught this class their first year. It was first grade and my partner teacher was Mercedes Lorenzo-Castro. I am so proud and I know she was. They are so smart and gifted.
I am privileged to have worked with them and learned from both them and Mercedes. Congratulations to Hector, Brenda, Elma, Dulce, Eber, Raul, and especially Maestra Mercedes (who balanced teaching and completing her own middle and high school educations alongside of the students she taught, and graduated last year).

No comments:

Post a Comment