Thursday, September 23, 2010

Sunday October 10, 2010 A World Day of Prayer for the Struggle Against Poverty

This is my first assignment- to distribute worship resources and continue to build relationships with the local evangelical (remember that means Protestant) churches in Ayacucho. The theme for this year's Day of Prayer for the Struggle Against Poverty is "Tus Manos Pueden Hablar" or "Your Hands can Speak." The PyE comunications team also wants me to work with them to design a worship service for that Sunday which will be used in a local church.
The materials and the impetus for this Day of Prayer are the Millenial Development Goals set and signed by 189 member nations (UN) in September of 2000. These are 8 goals designed to, and if met, will erradicate extreme poverty by 2015.
I saw an article on MSNBC yesterday that doubted these goals would be met. Maybe we should just quit now? I believe the apostle Paul said, and I agree "By No Means!" If we quit now what would be the point of having even started. Someone or something has to get the ball rolling. Something I have learned since 2000 is it (erradicating, not just band-aiding extreme poverty) takes transformational work. To make these goals become reality someone is going to have to sacrifice so that the other might gain. I have found that is the challenging part for everyone who has enough, including myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment