Sunday, September 26, 2010

Intergenerational - International Red Rover

On Saturday I went to an all day encampamento or retreat with my the Sulca-Tucno family (they are my hosts). It was just a short drive further into the mountains, yes you can go further into the Andes than Ayacucho, I know it is hard to believe. It was with the church that my family attends. The pastor is the twin brother of my host parent Habacuc. There was volleyball and soccer. The men even took a rest so that the young women could play. There is some serious talent here, those chicas could be good.
We shared a day vasking in the mountain sun. Did anyone know there were mosquitoes in the mountains? I could play connect the dots on my lower legs. Hee hee!!
There was a big lunch with Secco de Pollo and arroz. That is roasted chicken and rice with peppers and cilantro mixed and cooked in so the rice has a green hue. It was fantastic.
Toward the end of the day they started playing some games or juegos. Peruvians are serious about their juegos. They asked me if I knew some from the United States. I started racking my brain for ones that I could explain in spanish. Freeze tag, no...three legged race? No.Then it hit me "Red Rover!!" We started with just the youth, then the pastor asked for everyone to join in adults and children alike because he wanted us to all do things together. So our small Rojo Rover turned into an all church festivus. We went from 15 to 60 people in ten minutes. But it was fabulous just look at the pictures...the largest international Red Rover game ever played, I think!?

No comments:

Post a Comment