Sunday, September 12, 2010

Church in Lima, Peru - The Sequel

This morning I went back to the same church we attended last week in Lima. It is a short walk down from the house we are staying at. It is part of the Evangelical Church of Peru. This week the Rev. Harry Horne, a PC(USA) mission co-worker preached on the Parable of the Sower and not for 50 minutes. He is very insightful and I have enjoyed getting to know Harry this short two weeks. His wife, Debbie is my supervisor.

A couple of highlights from today's church experience....singing a choro or Christian hymn to the tune of the Beatles song "Let it Be." The musician started playing the piano and I looked over at Debbie and said is this what I think it is? It was. "Let it be, Oh let it be!!"

The next was a real privilege for me. Elias, the man who leads the youth class (and the muscian this morning), asked me if I would come and speak to the youth upstairs, even if just for a minute about mission work and why I felt called to Peru and what I would be doing here. I agreed. So after the service I went upstairs and there were Alex, the pastor's son, Ian, Jasmin, Kara, ad couple of others. Before I spoke they shared how they completed their Sunday School homework. Their assignment was simple. Find someone that you can share words of Christian support with by being present, listening, and letting them know that even though they may feel alone, you will be there to listen. Three of the youth shared stories that I found to be perfect examples of their assigned task. It reminded of how in Latin America the faith life and the daily life are integrated, there is no separation.

I talked to the youth about where I was from and why I was there. I reminded them that many centuries ago white men brought the bible, they gave it to the people, and they did alot more talking than they did listening. I told them I too had the bible, but that much like their assignment this past week I was there to listen and to share, to talk and to listen. To give to and but also take away (figuratively speaking)from the people of Peru, young and old, that I encountered. "I have two ears and only one mouth, so I think that means that the best way I can do mission work here in Peru is to listen more than I speak." Among other things, that is what I told them, and I think it will prove true.

I left as Elias asked them "who brought your bible with you today?" His question was met with a stammering of excuses like my dog ate it, I left it on the bus...I laughed to myself and thought it was not much different from an American youth group. They were sort of excited to be there, willing to share once they trust their leadership, and say the funniest things.

1 comment:

  1. JOMI! I miss and love you and am praying for your time in Peru. God has you RIGHT WHERE HE WANTS YOU!

    ReplyDelete