Thursday, June 9, 2011

Some Quechua Words

I have been living in a Quechua speaking region for almost 10 months now. I have mentioned this language and its people alot in my blog entries so I thought I would give you a little glimpse into this language. The Quechua speaking people are the indigenous people of Peru, and distant decendants of the Inca. First, I am NO WHERE fluent enough to carry on a full conversation, but I understand alot more than I speak.

1. Quechua is generally a spoken or an oral language. It is not usually written down. That makes it even more challenging because you have to pay close attention to pronunciation.
2. The mamás (what the women call one another) are endeared to me and so proud when I can remember what they taught me the week before.
3. There is NO ¨O¨ sound in Quechua. It is usually replaced by an ¨u or oo¨sound. Like Franco the little boy that lives in my house is actually Francu or Francucha, instead of Franco.
4. When there is not a Quechua word for something, generally the spanish is used. That happens alot in the church, both Catholic and Protestant because one was brought by Spain the other by North Americans and Dutch Missionaries, no Quechua there.
5. Quechua is regional. So even within Peru, there are probably three or more dialects and vocabularies. For instance Cusco versus Ayacucho.
Also Quechua culture is practiced and the language is spoken in Ecuador and Bolivia.




So a little Quechua taste....
pucca - red bathroom - Ispakuna Wasi (literally the house in which urinate)
cuchi- pig Imaynayam Kachkani- How are you?
Imaynaym - what? Sutimi Lisa - My name is Lisa
wasi - house cachipa - queso or cheese
wawa - baby yumpay - mucho or alot
Imaynaym Sutiki - What is your name?
warmi - woman warmi kuna - women suma warmi - good looking woman
qari - man qari kuna - men
pisiwanquanyachu - nadie me faltera or I shall not be in want (Psalm 23)
Dios Taytayllay - God, the Father
Hamwe - come here

3 comments:

  1. Lisa, I am praying for you and all my friends in Huanta. Please send my blessings to all at Cristo Rey. Along with Rusty and Sara, I accompanied a group of crazy, hard-working, Christ-loving, Presbyterians from Charlotte, NC to Huanta in 2008 & 2010. I miss my many friends there; Orlando, Luis, Pricillia, Gamiellel & family, Samual & family, Modesta, Pastor Vlato, and many more. What a beautiful community of God-centered, caring brothers and sisters. My love to you and those you are working with.
    DeAnna Booth
    Bryson City Presbyterian Church
    Bryson City, NC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa!
    If you're flying through MIA, you better let me know! I can't believe the year has flown by so fast.
    In prayer for you-
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lisa,

    I just recently visit Cusco and I was wondering if you could do a little language digging for me. We were told by our guide that in the Quechua language there is a word that essentially means "good spirit" or "good energy". Do know what that word is?

    ReplyDelete