Thursday, May 19, 2011

The Good Samaritan Goes Quechua

Every other Friday, as you know, I travel to the campo or countryside of Cangari. It is a small farming pueblo just southwest (I think) of Huanta headed back toward Ayacucho. It is in the municipality of Iguaín. During the violent years this community was affected by the activities and unwanted presence of the Sendero Luminoso.
I really enjoy the folks who are a part of this group. Usually our GAMs or Grupos para Ayuda Mujeres are just that, all women. In Cangari, the group includes about 5 men. They only add to the group life and personality of the group.
Two weeks ago, as a part of the workshop, the folks in Cangari split up into three groups. They were asked to recreate the story of the Good Samaritan, after they picked it out of the bible based on the description of a real life situation of being in trouble and passers by will not help and are full of excuses by Milagros, my compañera. Most of the people in this group are Catholic so one of the ¨passing by characters in the story was changed to a sacerdote or priest, for effect.¨
I LOVE working with the people of Cangari, I may have mentioned it before. They are so funny and really get into our work, which is good for them. They take really good care of one another from week to week.
We divided up into 3 groups. One group was short a person so, I was victimized..I mean volunteered, and of course they made me the good samaratain because they said ¨You are an extrañjera or gringa, perfect!¨ It reminds me of having to play Goliath in the Guatemalan Christmas program 6 years ago because I was taller than everyone else.
The Cangari folks are ready for their close-up and their Oscar. They are great actors, with props and everything. They brought the story of the Buen Samaritano to life as only the indigenous Quechua speaking people of Cangari can, and they had a good time doing it. My compañeros and I almost died laughing at their realism, and acting ability. The people especially liked the part of attacking the person getting robbed. Then the vicitm lay on the ground, writhing around yelling ¨AUXILLIO! AUXILLIO!¨ Which means help! help! in Quechua. I almost had a personal accident just watching their presentations.


This group has been a delight to work with. So here´s to Salome, Delfin, Augusto, Elvira, Alejandra, Pedro Pablo, Saturina, and all the rest in Cangari who continue to unpack painful details and feelings with us, but more importantly one another as they walk the road of grief together.

No comments:

Post a Comment