Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Garbage Truck Song

The garbage trucks make their rounds in the city of Ayacucho about three days a week. There is one that comes by my house early in the morning and then by the time I arrive cross town at the PyE Ayacucho Office there is another one making its rounds in that district. The funny thing is you can hear them coming because they all play some sort of music over a speaker as they slowly manuever through the colonial streets.
I have been told that some trucks play 80´s rock ballads and others Christmas music (especially when it is NOT Christmas).
The one that circulates near my office plays this irritating melody. I could not for the life of me, for four straight months, figure out what that melody was. Then it hit me...do do, do do, do do do do (whislting!) it was the Bridge over the River Kwai song. Whenever we hear it coming Milagros (Milly) and I look up at each other an go ¨Do do, doooo, do do¨and laugh.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lisa,

    My wife and I teach a Sunday school class in New York. We recently sent some shoe boxes out as part of the Operation Christmas Child program. As it turned out they ended up in Peru. We did some research on Peru at pcusa.org and found out you were there, how cool??

    Anyway we were wondering if you wouldn't mind answering a few questions for the kids:

    What type of different foods do you eat?

    Is it crowded?

    What games do the kids play?

    How is the weather compared to New York?

    Do you need anything?

    Why did you go?

    What languages do they speak?

    Are there monkeys?

    Anyway if you a few minutes to answer that would be awesome. We're keeping you, your family, and the people of Peru in our prayers.

    Peace,

    Ritchie

    ReplyDelete