Friday, September 3, 2010

Winter in September...Really I Coulda said July

My two traveling companions (Rachel and James) and I arrived in Lima, Peru on Monday August 30th. It is winter in Lima. When you cross the equator the seasons reverse. The Peruvians meeting us at the airport said "Where are you winter jackets, it is cold out there!?" Debbie our supervisor said they think it is cold here. She had on a scarf, and a little Peruvian boy that was on our plane was greeted by his mom and another woman who quickly wrapped him up in a puffy orange down jacket, a scarf, and wooly hat. It was almost like that movie A Christmas Story, when the mom wraps the kid up snug as a bug in a rug. I tried to peer over the crowd outside. "Was there snow on the ground?" I thought Peru was a tropical place, it is right near the equator. We walked outside and it was dark yet the brisk air was refreshing on these limbs, after the sweltering Carolina summers. The Peruvians thought we were nuts. As the night went on though I slept in my clothes and a sweatshirt that I added to the mix because it did get colder and there is no heat in most homes in Peru.
Glad I packed for the cold weather in Ayacucho. (layers baby, layers)..my soon to be mountain home.

1 comment:

  1. YAY! you made it safe, sound and warm :) It's a funny thing that today I'm heading to MIA to pick up mi Suegro. Two ships passing in the night. I look forward to following things there.
    ciao

    ReplyDelete