Monday, September 13, 2010

Presbyterian Church - It's a Small, Small World - Speaking Connectionally.

I just made up that word connectionally, but it is so true - the connectional nature of the Presbyterian Church has popped up for me again, this time half a world away in Lima, Peru.
On Sunday, Rev. Harry Horne, Debbie (my supervisor and his wife), and I were having lunch after church. We had Pollo a la Brasa which is basically rotissere chicken. It is so good (que rica! How tasty - as they say here.) While we were eating we got to talking, and somehow I mentioned my host family in Guatemala. Actually I think I mentioned them to Debbie a few days earlier. When I did Debbie said "Rutillio, Rutillio...hmm that name sounds familar." Harry and Debbie had previously been mission coworkers in Guatemala as well. "I wonder if he was one of Harry's students?" I told her Rutillio, my host dad in Guatemala had trained to be a pastor at the Presbyterian Seminary in San Felipe.
By Sunday when we continued our conversation, Harry confirmed that Rutillio had indeed been one of his students. Rutillio seemed to be remembered well by both Harry and I, as a man of honor and hard work despite not always having his abilities recognized by others.
When we returned to Harry and Debbie's house I used skype to call my host family and for a minute Harry and Rutillio got to talk again. Rutillio remembered Harry. He said "Haarree Horneee! Mi profesor! Que Pasa con ud.? This encounter reminded me of the degrees of separation that I keep encountering in the mission field, but also the global church.

No comments:

Post a Comment