Sunday, September 5, 2010

Peruvian Church - I need to work on my Preaching

This morning we went to church services at Debbie and Harry's church. It is a part of the Evangelical Church of Peru. Remember that in Latin America "Evangelico" simply means Protestant, not to be confused with evangelical in the United States. A little different experience than I had in Guatemala. I have to remember that I am in a city now. It was still a simple brick building with incandescent lighting, but they had microphones, a keyboard, and a projector with screen to put the words up. This youth (ages 14-35) are doing a bible study on the environment and their responsibility for it as a part of creation.
There were some songs sprinkled through out the service, prayer for the pastoral team, and the ministries of Debbie, Harry, and a couple of others present. One of the congregants was celebrating her birthday so the congregation sang Happy Birthday to her, and the pastor prayed over her giving thanks for her life lived and the future. They also let us come up front and introduce ourselves and talk about where we are from, and where we will be moving to in about week.
Here is the kicker...the pastor, Hector, preached for some 50 minutes. Yes 50 minutes on the character of Christ. He lost me part of the way through, but 50 minutes...schew!! I am not sure that I am capable of preaching for 50 minutes, let alone do you all want to hear it.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Lisa, Thinking of you all the time. Enjoying the posts. Sounds great. We went to Caraway today and yesterday with the new residents. Can't believe a year has passed. Bet your year in Peru will pass quickly, too. Praying for you. Peace and blessing, and potatoes really are vegetables! Sandie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, I tried to post on here once before and it didn't work. Just wanted to tell you how excited I am for you! What an adventure! Reading about your experiences reminds me of Guatemala and all the things we learned there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent Blog! I would like to thank for the efforts you have made in writing this post. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. I wanted to thank you for this websites! Thanks for sharing. Great websites! pastel de choclo

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is perfect time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I’ve read this post and if I could I desire to suggest you few interesting things or tips. Perhaps you could write next articles referring to this article. I want to read more things about it! big teddy bear

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing abilities has inspired me to start my own Blog Engine blog now. Really the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly. Your write up is a fine example of it. inca kola

    ReplyDelete